Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 0.293 ng/ml
- Range: 0.49 ng/ml - 500 ng/ml
- Sample type: Plasma, Platelets, Serum, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Competitive
- Reacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Product nameSerotonin ELISA Kit
See all Serotonin kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% 346.1 ng/ml 20 4.2% 53.8 ng/ml 20 5.8% 13.5 ng/ml 20 11% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% 358.0 ng/ml 16.2% 53.9 ng/ml 18.4% 13.2 ng/ml 12.7%
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Platelets
Range0.49 ng/ml - 500 ng/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Urine 101 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Serum 91 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Platelets 107 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Cit plasma 95 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml
Assay time3h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Predicted to work with: a wide range of other species
Serotonin ELISA kit is a competitive ELISA kit designed for the accurate quantitative measurement of Serotonin in Human Serum, Platelets, Plasma and Urine.
A goat anti-rabbit IgG antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates. Standards or test samples are added to the wells, along with an alkaline phosphatase (AP) conjugated- Serotonin antigen and a polyclonal rabbit antibody specific to Serotonin. After incubation the excess reagents are washed away. pNpp substrate is added and after a short incubation the enzyme reaction is stopped and the yellow color generated is read at 405 nm. The intensity of the yellow coloration is inversely proportional to the amount of Serotonin captured in the plate.
Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) is a monoamine found in the central nervous system, gastrointestinal tract, and blood with broad physiological functions as a neurotransmitter, in gastric motility, hemostasis, and cardiovascular integrity. Defects in serotonin signaling have been linked to a large number of complex behavioral disorders in humans, including anxiety and depression, autism, and eating disorders, and to neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s. Platelets serve as the major reservoir of serotonin in the bloodstream. When activated, platelets release serotonin into the bloodstream where it acts as a powerful vasoconstrictor. Treatment with Selective Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) dramatically reduces platelet serotonin concentrations, and altered levels of serotonin in the circulatory system are implicated in such diverse conditions such as asthma, liver cirrhosis and carcinoid tumors.
Compound Cross Reactivity N-Acetyl Serotonin 17% 5-Hydroxy-L-tryptophan 0.4% Tryptamine 0.1% 5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid 0.03% Melatonin 0.01% Tyramine <0.004% Tryptophan <0.004%
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 1 x 27ml Assay Buffer 1 x 27ml Goat anti-rabbit IgG Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit Plate Sealer 2 units pNpp Substrate 1 x 20ml Serotonin Alkaline Phosphatase Conjugate 2 x 150ng Serotonin Antibody 2 vials Serotonin Standard 2 x 250ng Stop Solution 1 x 5ml
Serotonin measured (averages of undil., 1:3, 1:9 & 1:27) in biological fluids (Neuro2a an Growth med. averaged from 1:2 and 1:4) showing quantity (ng) per mL of tested sample.
Representative Standard Curve using ab133053.
Dose-response curves from Human platelets and Human serum diluted into assay buffer were compared to the Serotonin standard curve. The parallel response indicates the standard effectively mimics the native protein.
ab133053 has been referenced in 16 publications.
- Sun X et al. Alleviation of Anxiety/Depressive-Like Behaviors and Improvement of Cognitive Functions by Lactobacillus plantarum WLPL04 in Chronically Stressed Mice. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2021:6613903 (2021). PubMed: 33603935
- Dutta SD et al. Effects of GABA/ß-glucan supplements on melatonin and serotonin content extracted from natural resources. PLoS One 16:e0247890 (2021). PubMed: 33667254
- Soria-Castro R et al. Severe COVID-19 is marked by dysregulated serum levels of carboxypeptidase A3 and serotonin. J Leukoc Biol 110:425-431 (2021). PubMed: 34057753
- Ali HA et al. Neurotoxic, Hepatotoxic and Nephrotoxic Effects of Tramadol Administration in Rats. J Mol Neurosci N/A:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32440822
- Fuchs C et al. Pharmacotherapy with sertraline rescues brain development and behavior in a mouse model of CDKL5 deficiency disorder. Neuropharmacology 167:107746 (2020). PubMed: 31469994