Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 0.293 ng/ml
- Range: 0.49 ng/ml - 500 ng/ml
- Sample type: Plasma, Platelets, Serum, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Competitive
- Reacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Product nameSerotonin ELISA Kit
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% 346.1 ng/ml 20 4.2% 53.8 ng/ml 20 5.8% 13.5 ng/ml 20 11% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% 358.0 ng/ml 16.2% 53.9 ng/ml 18.4% 13.2 ng/ml 12.7%
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Platelets
Range0.49 ng/ml - 500 ng/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Urine 101 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Serum 91 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Platelets 107 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml Cit plasma 95 5ng/ml - 100ng/ml
Assay time3h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Predicted to work with: a wide range of other species
Serotonin ELISA kit is a competitive ELISA kit designed for the accurate quantitative measurement of Serotonin in Human Serum, Platelets, Plasma and Urine.
A goat anti-rabbit IgG antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates. Standards or test samples are added to the wells, along with an alkaline phosphatase (AP) conjugated- Serotonin antigen and a polyclonal rabbit antibody specific to Serotonin. After incubation the excess reagents are washed away. pNpp substrate is added and after a short incubation the enzyme reaction is stopped and the yellow color generated is read at 405 nm. The intensity of the yellow coloration is inversely proportional to the amount of Serotonin captured in the plate.
Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) is a monoamine found in the central nervous system, gastrointestinal tract, and blood with broad physiological functions as a neurotransmitter, in gastric motility, hemostasis, and cardiovascular integrity. Defects in serotonin signaling have been linked to a large number of complex behavioral disorders in humans, including anxiety and depression, autism, and eating disorders, and to neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s. Platelets serve as the major reservoir of serotonin in the bloodstream. When activated, platelets release serotonin into the bloodstream where it acts as a powerful vasoconstrictor. Treatment with Selective Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) dramatically reduces platelet serotonin concentrations, and altered levels of serotonin in the circulatory system are implicated in such diverse conditions such as asthma, liver cirrhosis and carcinoid tumors.
Compound Cross Reactivity N-Acetyl Serotonin 17% 5-Hydroxy-L-tryptophan 0.4% Tryptamine 0.1% 5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid 0.03% Melatonin 0.01% Tyramine <0.004% Tryptophan <0.004%
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 1 x 27ml Assay Buffer 1 x 27ml Goat anti-rabbit IgG Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit Plate Sealer 2 units pNpp Substrate 1 x 20ml Serotonin Alkaline Phosphatase Conjugate 2 x 150ng Serotonin Antibody 2 vials Serotonin Standard 2 x 250ng Stop Solution 1 x 5ml
Serotonin measured (averages of undil., 1:3, 1:9 & 1:27) in biological fluids (Neuro2a an Growth med. averaged from 1:2 and 1:4) showing quantity (ng) per mL of tested sample.
Representative Standard Curve using ab133053.
Dose-response curves from Human platelets and Human serum diluted into assay buffer were compared to the Serotonin standard curve. The parallel response indicates the standard effectively mimics the native protein.
ab133053 has been referenced in 12 publications.
- Ali HA et al. Neurotoxic, Hepatotoxic and Nephrotoxic Effects of Tramadol Administration in Rats. J Mol Neurosci N/A:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32440822
- Lu F et al. Fluoride related changes in behavioral outcomes may relate to increased serotonin. Physiol Behav 206:76-83 (2019). PubMed: 30904570
- Shan X et al. Edoxaban improves atrial fibrillation and thromboembolism through regulation of the Wnt-ß-induced PI3K/ATK-activated protein C system. Exp Ther Med 17:3509-3517 (2019). PubMed: 30988731
- Almishri W et al. The Antidepressant Mirtazapine Inhibits Hepatic Innate Immune Networks to Attenuate Immune-Mediated Liver Injury in Mice. Front Immunol 10:803 (2019). PubMed: 31031775
- Alhazzani A et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) Coculture Protects [Ca2+]i Orchestrated Oxidant Mediated Damage in Differentiated Neurons In Vitro. Cells 7:N/A (2018). PubMed: 30563298