Key features and details
- Produced recombinantly (animal-free) for high batch-to-batch consistency and long term security of supply
- Rabbit monoclonal [EPFHCR37F] to SMC1A
- Suitable for: WB, IHC-P, ICC/IF
- Reacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Product nameAnti-SMC1A antibody [EPFHCR37F]
See all SMC1A primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit monoclonal [EPFHCR37F] to SMC1A
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WB, IHC-P, ICC/IFmore details
Unsuitable for: Flow Cyt or IP
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Synthetic peptide within Human SMC1A aa 1200-1300 (C terminal). The exact sequence is proprietary.
(Peptide available as
- HeLa, 293T, Jurkat and Saos-2 cell lysates; Human colon tissue; Saos-2 cells
This product is a recombinant monoclonal antibody, which offers several advantages including:
- - High batch-to-batch consistency and reproducibility
- - Improved sensitivity and specificity
- - Long-term security of supply
- - Animal-free production
Our RabMAb® technology is a patented hybridoma-based technology for making rabbit monoclonal antibodies. For details on our patents, please refer to RabMAb® patents.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at -20°C. Stable for 12 months at -20°C.
Storage bufferpH: 7.20
Preservative: 0.01% Sodium azide
Constituents: 9% PBS, 40% Glycerol, 0.05% BSA, 50% Tissue culture supernatant
Concentration information loading...
PurityTissue culture supernatant
Immunizing Peptide (Blocking)
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab133643 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||1/1000 - 1/10000. Predicted molecular weight: 143 kDa.Can be blocked with SMC1A peptide (ab209494).|
|IHC-P||1/100 - 1/250. Perform heat mediated antigen retrieval with citrate buffer pH 6 before commencing with IHC staining protocol.|
|ICC/IF||1/100 - 1/250.|
FunctionInvolved in chromosome cohesion during cell cycle and in DNA repair. Central component of cohesin complex. The cohesin complex is required for the cohesion of sister chromatids after DNA replication. The cohesin complex apparently forms a large proteinaceous ring within which sister chromatids can be trapped. At anaphase, the complex is cleaved and dissociates from chromatin, allowing sister chromatids to segregate. The cohesin complex may also play a role in spindle pole assembly during mitosis. Involved in DNA repair via its interaction with BRCA1 and its related phosphorylation by ATM, or via its phosphorylation by ATR. Works as a downstream effector both in the ATM/NBS1 branch and in the ATR/MSH2 branch of S-phase checkpoint.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in SMC1A are the cause of Cornelia de Lange syndrome type 2 (CDLS2) [MIM:300590]; also known as Cornelia de Lange syndrome X-linked. CDLS is a clinically heterogeneous developmental disorder associated with malformations affecting multiple systems. CDLS is characterized by facial dysmorphisms, abnormal hands and feet, growth delay, cognitive retardation and various other malformations including gastroesophageal dysfunction and cardiac, ophthalmologic and genitourinary anomalies.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the SMC family. SMC1 subfamily.
DomainThe flexible hinge domain, which separates the large intramolecular coiled coil regions, allows the heterotypic interaction with the corresponding domain of SMC3, forming a V-shaped heterodimer. The two heads of the heterodimer are then connected by different ends of the cleavable RAD21 protein, forming a ring structure.
modificationsPhosphorylated by ATM upon ionizing radiation in a NBS1-dependent manner. Phosphorylated by ATR upon DNA methylation in a MSH2/MSH6-dependent manner. Phosphorylation of Ser-957 and Ser-966 activates it and is required for S-phase checkpoint activation.
Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome. Chromosome > centromere > kinetochore. Associates with chromatin. Before prophase it is scattered along chromosome arms. During prophase, most of cohesin complexes dissociate from chromatin probably because of phosphorylation by PLK, except at centromeres, where cohesin complexes remain. At anaphase, the RAD21 subunit of the cohesin complex is cleaved, leading to the dissociation of the complex from chromosomes, allowing chromosome separation. In germ cells, cohesin complex dissociates from chromatin at prophase I, and may be replaced by a meiosis-specific cohesin complex. The phosphorylated form on Ser-957 and Ser-966 associates with chromatin during G1/S/G2 phases but not during M phase, suggesting that phosphorylation does not regulate cohesin function. Integral component of the functional centromere-kinetochore complex at the kinetochore region during mitosis.
- Information by UniProt
- Chromosome segregation protein SmcB antibody
- DXS423E antibody
- KIAA0178 antibody
All lanes : Anti-SMC1A antibody [EPFHCR37F] (ab133643) at 1/1000 dilution
Lane 1 : HeLa cell lysate
Lane 2 : 293T cell lysate
Lane 3 : Jurkat cell lysate
Lane 4 : Saos-2 cell lysate
Lysates/proteins at 10 µg per lane.
All lanes : HRP labelled goat anti-rabbit at 1/2000 dilution
Predicted band size: 143 kDa
Immunofluorescent analysis of Saos-2 cells labelling SMC1A with ab133643 at 1/100 dilution.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded Human colon tissue labelling SMC1A with ab133643 at 1/100 dilution.
Perform heat mediated antigen retrieval with citrate buffer pH 6 before commencing with IHC staining protocol.
ab133643 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Sieben CJ et al. BubR1 allelic effects drive phenotypic heterogeneity in mosaic-variegated aneuploidy progeria syndrome. J Clin Invest 130:171-188 (2020). PubMed: 31738183
- Shah VJ & Maddika S CRL7SMU1 E3 ligase complex-driven H2B ubiquitylation functions in sister chromatid cohesion by regulating SMC1 expression. J Cell Sci 131:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29507117
- Li Z et al. ASXL1 interacts with the cohesin complex to maintain chromatid separation and gene expression for normal hematopoiesis. Sci Adv 3:e1601602 (2017). PubMed: 28116354
- Berry RS et al. High levels of tumor-associated neutrophils are associated with improved overall survival in patients with stage II colorectal cancer. PLoS One 12:e0188799 (2017). PubMed: 29211768
- Hopkins J et al. Meiosis-specific cohesin component, Stag3 is essential for maintaining centromere chromatid cohesion, and required for DNA repair and synapsis between homologous chromosomes. PLoS Genet 10:e1004413 (2014). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 24992337