- References (1)
Product nameSodium salicylate, anti-inflammatory agent
DescriptionCell-permeable anti-inflammatory agent
Biological descriptionCell-permeable anti-inflammatory agent. Inhibits cyclooxygenases preventing prostaglandin formation. Inhibits components of the MAPK cascade, NF-κB and AP-1. Induces apoptosis through p38 MAPK activation.
Chemical name2-Hydroxybenzoic acid sodium salt
Storage instructionsStore at Room Temperature. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Lipid and lipoprotein metabolism
- Cholesterol Metabolism
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120746 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
THP1 cells were incubated at 37°C for 40h with vehicle control (0 µM) and different concentrations of sodium salicylate (ab120746). Decreased expression of scavenging receptor SR-BI (ab52629) in THP1 cells correlates with an increase in sodium salicylate concentration, as described in literature.
Whole cell lysates were prepared with RIPA buffer (containing protease inhibitors and sodium orthovanadate), 10 µg of each were loaded on the gel and the WB was run under reducing conditions. After transfer the membrane was blocked for an hour using 5% BSA before being incubated with ab52629 at 1/2000 dilution and ab8227 at 1 µg/ml overnight at 4°C. Antibody binding was detected using an anti-rabbit antibody conjugated to HRP (ab97051) at 1/10000 dilution and visualised using ECL development solution.
This product has been referenced in:
- Amann R & Peskar BA Anti-inflammatory effects of aspirin and sodium salicylate. Eur J Pharmacol 447:1-9 (2002). Read more (PubMed: 12106797) »
- Schwenger P et al. Activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase by sodium salicylate leads to inhibition of tumor necrosis factor-induced IkappaB alpha phosphorylation and degradation. Mol Cell Biol 18:78-84 (1998). Read more (PubMed: 9418855) »
- Mitchell JA et al. Sodium salicylate inhibits cyclo-oxygenase-2 activity independently of transcription factor (nuclear factor kappaB) activation: role of arachidonic acid. Mol Pharmacol 51:907-12 (1997). Read more (PubMed: 9187256) »
- Schwenger P et al. Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor-induced p42/p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation by sodium salicylate. J Biol Chem 271:8089-94 (1996). Read more (PubMed: 8626494) »