Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Whole Blood
- Sensitivity: 1 µM
Product nameSphingomyelin Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
See all Sphingomyelin kits
Sample typeCell culture extracts, Whole Blood
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Abcam's Sphingomyelin Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab138877) provides the most sensitive method for detecting neutral SM activity or screening SM inhibitors. The kit uses AbRed Indicator as a fluorogenic probe to indirectly quantify the phosphocholine produced from the hydrolysis of sphingomyelin (SM) by sphingomyelinase (SMase). It can be used for measuring the amount of SM in blood, cell extracts or other solutions. The fluorescence intensity of AbRed Indicator is proportional to the formation of phosphocholine, therefore to the amount of SM. AbRed Indicator enables the assay readable by either a fluorescence reader or an absorbance reader.
The kit is an optimized “mix and read” assay that can be performed in a convenient 96-well or 384-well microtiter-plate format and easily adapted to automation without a separation step.
Sphingomyelin (SM) is largely found in the exoplasmic leaflet of the cell membrane, primarily in nervous tissue. It plays an important role in signal transduction. Sphingomyelin accumulates abnormally in Niemann-Pick disease and Abetalipoproteinemia.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests AbRed Indicator 1 vial Assay Buffer 1 x 5ml DMSO 1 x 200µl Enzyme Mix 1 vial SMase Reaction Buffer 1 x 20ml 50mM Sphingomyelin standard 1 x 20µl Sphingomyelinase 1 vial
ab138877 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Kreutzberger AJB et al. Distinct insulin granule subpopulations implicated in the secretory pathology of diabetes types 1 and 2. Elife 9:N/A (2020). PubMed: 33164744
- Im EJ et al. Sulfisoxazole inhibits the secretion of small extracellular vesicles by targeting the endothelin receptor A. Nat Commun 10:1387 (2019). PubMed: 30918259
- Pang Y et al. Crystal structure of a cytocidal protein from lamprey and its mechanism of action in the selective killing of cancer cells. Cell Commun Signal 17:54 (2019). PubMed: 31133022
- Faict S et al. The Transfer of Sphingomyelinase Contributes to Drug Resistance in Multiple Myeloma. Cancers (Basel) 11:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31756922
- Aligeti M et al. Cooperation between the Hepatitis C Virus p7 and NS5B Proteins Enhances Virion Infectivity. J Virol 89:11523-33 (2015). PubMed: 26355084