Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 8.04 pg/ml
- Range: 9.8 pg/ml - 10000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Plasma, Saliva, Serum, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Competitive
- Reacts with: Human, Pig
Product nameSubstance P ELISA Kit
See all Substance P kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Low conc 24 101pg/ml 6.7% Medium conc 24 1116pg/ml 4.5% High conc 24 6257pg/ml 5.2% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Low conc 8 97pg/ml 4.2% Medium conc 8 1120pg/ml 7.3% High conc 8 6402pg/ml 7.3%
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Saliva, Urine, Serum, Plasma
Range9.8 pg/ml - 10000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Saliva 108.3 % - % Urine 105.8 % - % Serum 97.7 % - % Tissue Culture Media 81 % - % Hep Plasma 109.3 % - %
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human, Pig
Predicted to work with: a wide range of other species
Substance P ELISA Kit has been redeveloped with a new detection antibody. This version ab133029 will be discontinued when remaining inventory is depleted. The new version is available as ab288318.
Abcam’s Substance P in vitro competitive ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is designed for the accurate quantitative measurement of Substance P in biological fluids.
A goat anti-rabbit IgG antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates. Standards or test samples are added to the wells, along with an alkaline phosphatase (AP) conjugated-Substance P antigen and a polyclonal rabbit antibody specific to Substance P. After incubation the excess reagents are washed away. pNpp substrate is added and after a short incubation the enzyme reaction is stopped and the yellow color generated is read at 405 nm. The intensity of the yellow coloration is inversely proportional to the amount of Substance P captured in the plate.
Substance P is a undecapeptide that displays a number of biological activities. The peptide was first discovered in 1931 by von Euler and Gaddum. They reported that extracts of equine brain and intestine contained a hypotensive and spasmogenic factor. The preparation, termed preparation P, was later found to be proteinaceous. The isolation and characterization of Substance P was carried out by Leeman’s group in 1970. The structure is shown below.
Substance P: H-Arg-Pro-Lys-Pro-Gln-Gln-Phe-Phe-Gly-Leu-Met-NH2
Substance P is synthesized in the ribosomes as a larger protein and then enzymatically converted into the active peptide. The peptide is widely distributed in the peripheral and central nervous systems of vertebrates, where it is thought to act as a neurotransmitter. In the peripheral system, Substance P is localized in the primary sensory neurons and neurons intrinsic to the gastrointestinal tract.
Compound % Cross Reactivity Substance P 100 Substance P (3-11)
Physalaemin 75.3 Substance P (4-11) 11.7 Substance P (7-11) 5.9 α-Neurokinin 0.8 β-Neurokinin 0.2 Somatostatin <0.001 Substance P (1-4) <0.001
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 1 x 27ml Assay Buffer 1 x 27ml Goat anti-rabbit IgG Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit Plate Sealer 1 unit pNpp Substrate 1 x 20ml Stop Solution 1 x 5ml Substance P Alkaline Phosphatase Conjugate 1 x 5ml Substance P Antibody 1 x 5ml Substance P Standard 1 x 500µl
FunctionTachykinins are active peptides which excite neurons, evoke behavioral responses, are potent vasodilators and secretagogues, and contract (directly or indirectly) many smooth muscles.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the tachykinin family.
- Information by UniProt
- C-terminal-flanking peptide
- neurokinin 1
ab133029 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Sponchiado M et al. Overexpression of Substance P in pig airways increases MUC5AC through an NF-kß pathway. Physiol Rep 9:e14749 (2021). PubMed: 33580593
- Lei H et al. IL-37 relieves allergic inflammation by inhibiting the CCL11 signaling pathway in a mouse model of allergic rhinitis. Exp Ther Med 20:3114-3121 (2020). PubMed: 32855679
- Gong X et al. Substance P induces sympathetic immune response in the contralateral eye after the first eye cataract surgery in type 2 diabetic patients. BMC Ophthalmol 20:339 (2020). PubMed: 32811461
- Sorby-Adams AJ et al. Determining the Temporal Profile of Intracranial Pressure Changes Following Transient Stroke in an Ovine Model. Front Neurosci 13:587 (2019). PubMed: 31338013
- Davoodian M et al. Evaluation of serum level of substance P and tissue distribution of NK-1 receptor in breast cancer. Mol Biol Rep 46:1285-1293 (2019). PubMed: 30684188
- Rahman MM et al. Chondroprotective Effects of a Standardized Extract (KBH-JP-040) from Kalopanax pictus, Hericium erinaceus, and Astragalus membranaceus in Experimentally Induced In Vitro and In Vivo Osteoarthritis Models. Nutrients 10:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29543781
- Butler DSC et al. Neuroepithelial control of mucosal inflammation in acute cystitis. Sci Rep 8:11015 (2018). PubMed: 30030504
- Binch AL et al. Expression and regulation of neurotrophic and angiogenic factors during human intervertebral disc degeneration. Arthritis Res Ther 16:416 (2014). PubMed: 25209447