Product nameSuccinate Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeTissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time0h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Other species, Mammals
Succinate Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab204718) is a sensitive, fast and easy-to-use kit. In the succinate assay protocol, Succinate is utilized by Succinyl-CoA Synthetase to form an intermediate, which undergoes a series of reactions and reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at OD=450 nm. This assay kit can detect less than 40 µM of succinate or succinic acid in a variety of sample types.
Succinate + ATP + CoA converted by succiny-CoA synthase to succiny-CoA + ADP + Pi with Color Detection (OD 450 nm).
Succinate assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 30 min
- analyze with a microplate reader
Succinic acid (C4H6O4) is distributed in all plants and animal tissues and was first obtained from amber. Due to its low toxicity, it is widely used in agriculture, food and pharmaceutical industry. Succinate (C4H4O4) is the salt or ester of succinic acid. It is one of the most active components of cellular respiratory and intracellular energy generation. Measurement of succinate or succinic acid level is a key to analysis of the citric acid cycle.
This kit has so far only been tested with human and rat samples. Since Succinate is distributed in all plants and animal tissues this kit should detect Succinate independent of the species. Depending on the sample type, the sample preparation might need to be optimized.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Succinate Assay Buffer 1 x 25ml Succinate Converter (Lyophilized) 1 vial Succinate Developer (Lyophilized) 1 vial Succinate Enzyme Mix (Lyophilized) 1 vial Succinate Standard (Lyophilized) 1 vial Succinate Substrate Mix (Lyophilized) 1 vial
RelevanceSuccinic acid is involved in the catabolism of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
- butanedioic acid
- ethane-12 dicarboxylic acid
- ethylenesuccinic acid
This product has been referenced in:
- Jin L et al. The PLAG1-GDH1 Axis Promotes Anoikis Resistance and Tumor Metastasis through CamKK2-AMPK Signaling in LKB1-Deficient Lung Cancer. Mol Cell 69:87-99.e7 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29249655) »
- Karlstaedt A et al. Oncometabolite d-2-hydroxyglutarate impairs a-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase and contractile function in rodent heart. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113:10436-41 (2016). Read more (PubMed: 27582470) »