Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
Product nameSuperoxide Dismutase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time0h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Superoxide Dismutase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab65354 is a simple and rapid assay for superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity.
In the SOD assay protocol:
- superoxide anions are produced by the action of xanthine oxidase
- SOD catalyzes the dismutation of the superoxide anion into hydrogen peroxide and O2
- superoxide anions act on WST-1 to produce a water-soluble formazan dye which can be detected by the increase in absorbance at 450 nm
The greater the activity of SOD in the sample, the less formazan dye is produced.
Superoxide dismutase assay protocol summary:
- add samples to wells
- add WST-1 working solution and enzyme working solution and incubate for 20 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is one of the most important antioxidative enzymes. It catalyzes the dismutation of the superoxide anion into hydrogen peroxide and molecular oxygen.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide to learn about more assays for oxidative stress.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests SOD Assay Buffer WM 1 x 20ml SOD Dilution Buffer NM 1 x 10ml SOD Enzyme Solution Green 1 x 20µl WST Solution Red 1 x 1ml
RelevanceSuperoxide dismutase (SOD) is an antioxidant enzyme involved in the defense system against reactive oxygen species (ROS). SOD catalyzes the dismutation reaction of superoxide radical anion (O2-) to hydrogen peroxide, which is then catalyzed to innocuous O2 and H2O by glutathione peroxidase and catalase. Several classes of SOD have been identified. These include intracellular copper, zinc SOD (Cu, Zn SOD/SOD1), mitochondrial manganese SOD (Mn SOD/SOD2) and extracellular Cu, Zn SOD (EC SOD/SOD3).
- Cu /Zn superoxide dismutase
Park J et al investigates the recovery in erectile function after administration of chronic statin alone in DM (streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes mellitus) rats. SOD activity was determined using Superoxide Dismutase activity assay kit (ab65354).
* Indicates statistical significance in comparison with DM group (P < 0.05). # Indicates statistical significance in comparison with the statin group (P<0.05).
Superoxide dismutase measured in biofluids at various dilutions
Superoxidase dismutase (ab90040) measured showing inhibition rate (%) per concentration (microgram per mL)
Principle of Superoxide Dismutase Assay.
ab65354 has been referenced in 70 publications.
- Shastri S et al. Idebenone Protects against Acute Murine Colitis via Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 31940911
- Li J et al. CD5L-induced activation of autophagy is associated with hepatoprotection in ischemic reperfusion injury via the CD36/ATG7 axis. Exp Ther Med 19:2588-2596 (2020). PubMed: 32256738
- Han J et al. Effects of temperature changes on life parameters, oxidative stress, and antioxidant defense system in the monogonont marine rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Mar Pollut Bull 155:111062 (2020). PubMed: 32469753
- Zhou H et al. Chidamide Inhibits Glioma Cells by Increasing Oxidative Stress via the miRNA-338-5p Regulation of Hedgehog Signaling. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2020:7126976 (2020). PubMed: 32256960
- Manzoor R et al. Synergistic Neuroprotective Effect of Endogenously-Produced Hydroxytyrosol and Synaptic Vesicle Proteins on Pheochromocytoma Cell Line Against Salsolinol. Molecules 25:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32276517