Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
Product nameSuperoxide Dismutase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time0h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Superoxide Dismutase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab65354 is a simple and rapid assay for superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity.
In the SOD assay protocol:
- superoxide anions are produced by the action of xanthine oxidase
- SOD catalyzes the dismutation of the superoxide anion into hydrogen peroxide and O2
- superoxide anions act on WST-1 to produce a water-soluble formazan dye which can be detected by the increase in absorbance at 450 nm
The greater the activity of SOD in the sample, the less formazan dye is produced.
Superoxide dismutase assay protocol summary:
- add samples to wells
- add WST-1 working solution and enzyme working solution and incubate for 20 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K335 Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K335-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65354.
Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is one of the most important antioxidative enzymes. It catalyzes the dismutation of the superoxide anion into hydrogen peroxide and molecular oxygen.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide to learn about more assays for oxidative stress.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests SOD Assay Buffer WM 1 x 20ml 20 x 20ml SOD Dilution Buffer NM 1 x 10ml 20 x 10ml SOD Enzyme Solution Green 1 x 20µl 20 x 20µl WST Solution Red 1 x 1ml 20 x 1ml
RelevanceSuperoxide dismutase (SOD) is an antioxidant enzyme involved in the defense system against reactive oxygen species (ROS). SOD catalyzes the dismutation reaction of superoxide radical anion (O2-) to hydrogen peroxide, which is then catalyzed to innocuous O2 and H2O by glutathione peroxidase and catalase. Several classes of SOD have been identified. These include intracellular copper, zinc SOD (Cu, Zn SOD/SOD1), mitochondrial manganese SOD (Mn SOD/SOD2) and extracellular Cu, Zn SOD (EC SOD/SOD3).
- Cu /Zn superoxide dismutase
Park J et al investigates the recovery in erectile function after administration of chronic statin alone in DM (streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes mellitus) rats. SOD activity was determined using Superoxide Dismutase activity assay kit (ab65354).
* Indicates statistical significance in comparison with DM group (P < 0.05). # Indicates statistical significance in comparison with the statin group (P<0.05).
Superoxide dismutase measured in biofluids at various dilutions
Superoxidase dismutase (ab90040) measured showing inhibition rate (%) per concentration (microgram per mL)
Principle of Superoxide Dismutase Assay.
ab65354 has been referenced in 116 publications.
- Li M et al. Brachyury engineers cardiac repair competent stem cells. Stem Cells Transl Med 10:385-397 (2021). PubMed: 33098750
- Zagórska-Dziok M et al. Cosmetic and Dermatological Properties of Selected Ayurvedic Plant Extracts. Molecules 26:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33503925
- Zagórska-Dziok M et al. Positive Effect of Cannabis sativa L. Herb Extracts on Skin Cells and Assessment of Cannabinoid-Based Hydrogels Properties. Molecules 26:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33557174
- Sun C et al. Atractylenolide I alleviates ischemia/reperfusion injury by preserving mitochondrial function and inhibiting caspase-3 activity. J Int Med Res 49:300060521993315 (2021). PubMed: 33641489
- Elmorsy E et al. The protective effect of Indian Catechu methanolic extract against aluminum chloride-induced neurotoxicity, A rodent model of Alzheimer's disease. Heliyon 7:e06269 (2021). PubMed: 33665436