Product nameTEMPO, stable nitroxyl radical
DescriptionStable nitroxyl radical
- 1-Oxy-2,2,6,6-tetramethylpiperidine, free radical
Widely used as a radical trap, as a structural probe for biological systems in conjunction with electron spin resonance spectroscopy and as a catalyst for the oxidation of primary alcohols to aldehydes. TEMPO-mediated oxidation has been used for the carboxylation of water-resistant nanofibrillated cellulose (NFC) films.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in ethanol to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Pei J et al. Oxidation of primary hydroxyl groups in chitooligomer by a laccase-TEMPO system and physico-chemical characterisation of oxidation products. Carbohydr Polym 135:234-8 (2016). Read more (PubMed: 26453873) »
- Fan H et al. Characterization of starch films impregnated with starch nanoparticles prepared by 2,2,6,6-tetramethylpiperidine-1-oxyl (TEMPO)-mediated oxidation. Food Chem 192:865-72 (2016). Read more (PubMed: 26304422) »
- Orelma H et al. Surface functionalized nanofibrillar cellulose (NFC) film as a platform for immunoassays and diagnostics. Biointerphases 7:61 (2012). Read more (PubMed: 23055097) »
- Fraschini C & Vignon MR Selective oxidation of primary alcohol groups of beta-cyclodextrin mediated by 2,2,6,6-tetramethylpiperidine-1-oxyl radical (TEMPO). Carbohydr Res 328:585-9 (2000). Read more (PubMed: 11093714) »
- Fey RL et al. Electron Spin Resonance of 2,2,6,6-Tetramethylpiperidine-1-Oxyl (TEMPO)-labeled Plant Leaves. Plant Physiol 63:1220-2 (1979). Read more (PubMed: 16660888) »