- References (2)
Product nameThiazolyl blue tetrazolium bromide (MTT), membrane-permeable dye
DescriptionMembrane-permeable dye for assessing cell viability and proliferation
- 3-(4,5-Dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2,5-diphenyl-2H-tetrazolium bromide
- Methylthiazolyldiphenyl-tetrazolium bromide
Membrane-permeable dye used in measurement of cell proliferation. It produces a yellowish tetrazole solution that is converted to dark blue, water-insoluble MTT formazan by intracellular NAD(P)H-oxidoreductases of living cells. The blue crystals are solubilized and the intensity is measured colorimetrically at 570 nm.
Chemical name2-(4,5-Dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-3,5-diphenyl-2H-tetrazolium bromide
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 5 mg/ml
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
NaHS protects viability of HEI-OC1 cells upon gentamicin toxicity.
Gentamicin (GM) was added to the culture medium to a concentration of 0 (control), 1, 2.5 and 5 mM respectively incubated for 48 hours. Representative culture images (A) and viability measured by MTT assay (B) of HEI-OC1 cell culture after gentamicin (GM) treatment were shown.
Scale bar 100 μm. Values were represented as the mean ± SEM from three independent experiments. * P < 0.05 vs control.
(After Figure 1A & B of Dong et al).
This product has been referenced in:
- Dong Y et al. NaHS Protects Cochlear Hair Cells from Gentamicin-Induced Ototoxicity by Inhibiting the Mitochondrial Apoptosis Pathway. PLoS One 10:e0136051 (2015). Read more (PubMed: 26295804) »
- Shin K et al. TH2 cells and their cytokines regulate formation and function of lymphatic vessels. Nat Commun 6:6196 (2015). Read more (PubMed: 25648335) »
- Wang XW & Xu YH Expression differences in TEL-AML1 fusion gene in leukemia glucocorticoid-sensitive and -resistant cell lines. Genet Mol Res 14:7883-93 (2015). Read more (PubMed: 26214469) »
- Zahedifard M et al. Synthesis, characterization and apoptotic activity of quinazolinone Schiff base derivatives toward MCF-7 cells via intrinsic and extrinsic apoptosis pathways. Sci Rep 5:11544 (2015). Read more (PubMed: 26108872) »
- Berridge MV et al. Tetrazolium dyes as tools in cell biology: new insights into their cellular reduction. Biotechnol Annu Rev 11:127-52 (2005). Read more (PubMed: 16216776) »