Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr 20 min
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 2 µM
Product nameTriglyceride Assay Kit - Quantification
See all Triglyceride kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Sensitivity> 2 µM
Assay time1h 20m
Triglyceride Assay Kit (ab65336) is a sensitive, easy assay to measure triglyceride concentration in mammalian samples. In the triglyceride assay protocol, triglycerides are converted to free fatty acids and glycerol. Glycerol is then oxidized to generate a product which reacts with a probe to generate color (spectrophotometry at λ= 570 nm) and fluorescence (Ex/Em = 535/587 nm).
Chinese protocol available. See Protocols section below.
Triglyceride assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add assay buffer and lipase, and incubate for 20 min
- add triglyceride reaction mix and incubate for 60 min
- analyze with microplate reader
Please note: the general range is 0-10 nmol (colorimetric) and 0-1 nmol (fluorometric).
If your sample contains reducing substances, they are likely to interfere with the assay. In this case, we recommend using Triglyceride Assay Kit (Fluorometric, Reducing samples) ab178780.
Review our Metabolism Assay Guide to learn about assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also about how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
How other researchers have used Triglyceride Assay Kit ab65336
The Triglyceride assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: serum1, plasma2, mammary epithelial and mammary cancer cell line lysate3, Huh7.5 hepatocyte-derived cell line lysate4, primary liver cell line lysates5, sebocyte cell culture lysates6
- Mouse: hepatocyte cell lysates7, liver extract8, serum9, plasma10, kidney extracts11, liver tissue and serum12, cardiac tissue extracts13
- Rat: liver tissue extract14, plasma15
References: 1-Huang Y et al. 2019, 2-Wilson et al 2018, 3-Yen MC et al. 2019, 4-Kim D et al. 2018, 5-Boteon Y et al. 2018, 6-Jin S and Lee MY 2018, 7-Zhang W et al. 2019, 8-Brial F et al. 2019, 9-Liu J et al. 2018 and Patton A et al. 2018, 10-Fernandes et al. 2018 and Körholz JC et al 2018 and Liang et al. 2018, 11-Ding W et al. 2018, 12-Cui XB et al. 2018, 13-Rohm M et al. 2018, 14-Yu S et al. 2018, 15-García-Ruiz et al. 2018, 16-Wen CA and Ballard JWO 2019
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Lipase Blue 1 vial Triglyceride Assay Buffer 1 x 25ml Triglyceride Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial Triglyceride Probe (in DMSO, anhydrous) Red 1 x 200µl Triglyceride Standard (1 mM) Yellow 1 x 300µl
RelevanceTriglycerides are the main constituent of vegetable oil, animal fat, LDL and VLDL, and play an important role as transporters of fatty acids as well as serving as an energy source. Triglycerides are broken down into fatty acids and glycerol, after which both can serve as substrates for energy producing and metabolic pathways. High blood levels of triglycerides are implicated in atherosclerosis, heart disease and stroke as well as in pancreatitis.
Hepatic triglyceride levels was measured using ab65336 in male and female wild-type (WT) or AT2KO (knockout) mice with either normal diet (ND) or high fat diet (HFD).
Fluorometric triglyceride standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
Triglyceride measured in cell culture lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln cells.
Samples with the concentration of 1e7 cells/mL were used. Samples were diluted 40-80 fold and measured fluorometrically.
HepG2 cells were treated with 25 uM Chloroquine for 72h.
Colorimetric triglyceride standard curve using ab65336.
ab65336 has been referenced in 169 publications.
- Wang D et al. LSD1 mediates microbial metabolite butyrate-induced thermogenesis in brown and white adipose tissue. Metabolism 102:154011 (2020). PubMed: 31734274
- Yang C et al. Rewiring Neuronal Glycerolipid Metabolism Determines the Extent of Axon Regeneration. Neuron 105:276-292.e5 (2020). PubMed: 31786011
- Takahashi SS et al. Loss of autophagy impairs physiological steatosis by accumulation of NCoR1. Life Sci Alliance 3:N/A (2020). PubMed: 31879337
- Byun S et al. Fasting-induced FGF21 signaling activates hepatic autophagy and lipid degradation via JMJD3 histone demethylase. Nat Commun 11:807 (2020). PubMed: 32042044
- Wang S et al. Augmenting Vacuolar H+-ATPase Function Prevents Cardiomyocytes from Lipid-Overload Induced Dysfunction. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32102213