Key features and details
- Antibiotic. Protein glycosylation inhibitor.
- CAS Number: 11089-65-9
- Soluble in DMSO to 50 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Streptomyces sp.
Product nameTunicamycin, Protein glycosylation inhibitor
DescriptionAntibiotic. Protein glycosylation inhibitor.
Nucleoside antibiotic that inhibits protein glycosylation. Inhibits GlcNAc phosphotransferase (GPT) and inhibits the transfer of N-acetylglucosamine-1-phosphate from UDP-N-acetylglucosamine to dolichol phosphate in the first step of glycoprotein synthesis. Inhibits N-linked glycosylation and blocks the formation of N-glycosidic protein-carbohydrate linkages. Active in vitro against Gram-positive bacteria, yeasts, fungi and viruses.
This compound is a mixture of the homologs of tunicamycin: A, B, C and D which vary in the carbon chain length (n=8 to 11)
Molecular formulaC39H64N4O16 (for tunicamycin C, n = 10)
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 50 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120296 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
2D chemical structure image of ab120296, Tunicamycin, Protein glycosylation inhibitor
All lanes : Anti-ATF-4 antibody [EPR18111] (ab184909) at 1/1000 dilution
Lane 1 : Untreated HepG2 (Human liver hepatocellular carcinoma cell line) whole cell lysate (control)
Lane 2 : HepG2 (Human liver hepatocellular carcinoma cell line) treated with 5 µM MG-132 (ab141003) and 3 µg/ml tunicamycin (ab120296) for 6 hours whole cell lysate
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat Anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (HRP) (ab97051) at 1/100000 dilution
Observed band size: 50 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
Exposure time: 15 seconds
Blocking/Dilution buffer: 5% NFDM/TBST.
The molecular weight observed is consistent with what has been described in the literature (PMID: 22095285).
ab11419 staining DDIT3 in HeLa (Human epithelial cell line from cervix adenocarcinoma) cells +/- Tunicamycin 1.5μM, 6 hours (ab120296).
The cells were fixed with 4% PFA (10 min), permeabilized with 0.1% Triton-X for 5 mins and then blocked with 1% BSA/10% normal goat serum/0.3M glycine in 0.1%PBS-Tween for 1h. The cells were then incubated overnight at +4°C with ab11419 at 5μg/ml and ab6046, Rabbit polyclonal to beta Tubulin - Loading Control, at 1/1000 dilution. Cells were then incubated with ab150117, Goat Anti-Mouse IgG H&L (Alexa Fluor® 488) at 1/1000 dilution (shown in green) and ab150084, Goat polyclonal Secondary Antibody to Rabbit IgG - H&L (Alexa Fluor® 594) at 1/1000 dilution (shown in pseudocolor red). Nuclear DNA was labeled with DAPI (shown in blue).
Image was taken with a confocal microscope (Leica-Microsystems, TCS SP8).
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120296 has been referenced in 14 publications.
- Wang Y et al. Blocking the interaction between interleukin-17A and endoplasmic reticulum stress in macrophage attenuates retinal neovascularization in oxygen-induced retinopathy. Cell Biosci 11:82 (2021). PubMed: 33933165
- Mahameed M et al. Pharmacological induction of selective endoplasmic reticulum retention as a strategy for cancer therapy. Nat Commun 11:1304 (2020). PubMed: 32161259
- Chen S et al. Wogonoside inhibits tumor growth and metastasis in endometrial cancer via ER stress-Hippo signaling axis. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 51:1096-1105 (2019). PubMed: 31696210
- Huang J et al. SR-BI Interactome Analysis Reveals a Proviral Role for UGGT1 in Hepatitis C Virus Entry. Front Microbiol 10:2043 (2019). PubMed: 31551978
- Thiebaut PA et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B regulates endothelial endoplasmic reticulum stress; role in endothelial dysfunction. Vascul Pharmacol N/A:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29894845