Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.5 nmol/well
Product nameUrea Assay Kit
See all Urea kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Sensitivity> 0.5 nmol/well
Range0.5 nmol/well - 5 nmol/well
Assay time1h 00m
Urea Assay Kit ab83362 is a rapid, simple, sensitive, and reliable assay used to quantify urea in a variety of samples such as serum, plasma, and urine, etc. It can be used as a blood urea nitrogen assay kit (BUN assay kit).
In the urea assay protocol, urea is acted on by enzymes to form a product that reacts with a probe to generate color (ODmax=570nm). The absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration of urea in the solution. The kit can detect as low as 0.5 nmol per well or 10 µM of urea.
Urea assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 60 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Converting Enzyme (Lyophilised) Blue 1 vial Developer (Lyophilised) Orange 1 vial Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial OxiRed Probe in DMSO Red 1 x 200µl Urea Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Urea Standard (100mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl
RelevanceUrea is a waste product which is produced in the liver, dissolved in blood (in a concentration of 2.5 - 7.5 mM), and secreted by the kidneys. Urea also plays a very important role in protein catabolism, removal of toxic ammonia from the body, and the countercurrent system which allows for reabsorption of water and critical ions in the nephrons.
- Carbonyl diamide
ab83362 was used as a BUN assay (Blood urea nitrogen assay) to measure urea levels in 80 female Sprague-Dawley rats (age 10-12 months-old).
Urea measured in cell culture medium and control medium (MEM), background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
The samples were tested neat; 1:4; 1:16 and 1:64. Only the latter two gave reliable results.
Urea measured in mouse tissue lysates (mg of extracted protein), background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
Urea measured in cell lysates, background signal subtracted (duplicates; +/- SD).
Urea measured in biological fluids, background signal subtracted (duplicates; +/- SD).
Example of Urea standard curve using ab83362
ab83362 has been referenced in 32 publications.
- Kang D et al. Bioprinting of Multiscaled Hepatic Lobules within a Highly Vascularized Construct. Small N/A:e1905505 (2020). PubMed: 32078240
- Witte S et al. Establishing a model of primary bovine hepatocytes with responsive growth hormone receptor expression. J Dairy Sci 102:7522-7535 (2019). PubMed: 31155243
- Cappel DA et al. Pyruvate-Carboxylase-Mediated Anaplerosis Promotes Antioxidant Capacity by Sustaining TCA Cycle and Redox Metabolism in Liver. Cell Metab 29:1291-1305.e8 (2019). PubMed: 31006591
- Solanki A & Boyer TH Physical-chemical interactions between pharmaceuticals and biochar in synthetic and real urine. Chemosphere 218:818-826 (2019). PubMed: 30508800
- Pettinato G et al. Generation of fully functional hepatocyte-like organoids from human induced pluripotent stem cells mixed with Endothelial Cells. Sci Rep 9:8920 (2019). PubMed: 31222080