Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.5 nmol/well
Product nameUrea Assay Kit
See all Urea kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Sensitivity> 0.5 nmol/well
Range0.5 nmol/well - 5 nmol/well
Assay time1h 00m
Urea Assay Kit ab83362 is a rapid, simple, sensitive, and reliable assay used to quantify urea in a variety of samples such as serum, plasma, and urine, etc. It can be used as a blood urea nitrogen assay kit (BUN assay kit).
In the urea assay protocol, urea is acted on by enzymes to form a product that reacts with a probe to generate color (ODmax=570nm). The absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration of urea in the solution. The kit can detect as low as 0.5 nmol per well or 10 µM of urea.
Urea assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 60 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K375 Urea Colorimetric Assay Kit. K375-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab83362.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Converting Enzyme (Lyophilised) Blue 1 vial 20 vials Developer (Lyophilised) Orange 1 vial 20 vials Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial 20 vials OxiRed Probe in DMSO Red 1 x 200µl 20 x 200µl Urea Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Urea Standard (100mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl 20 x 100µl
RelevanceUrea is a waste product which is produced in the liver, dissolved in blood (in a concentration of 2.5 - 7.5 mM), and secreted by the kidneys. Urea also plays a very important role in protein catabolism, removal of toxic ammonia from the body, and the countercurrent system which allows for reabsorption of water and critical ions in the nephrons.
- Carbonyl diamide
ab83362 was used as a BUN assay (Blood urea nitrogen assay) to measure urea levels in 80 female Sprague-Dawley rats (age 10-12 months-old).
Urea measured in cell culture supernatants and control medium (MEM), background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
The samples were tested neat; 1:4; 1:16 and 1:64. Only the latter two gave reliable results.
Urea measured in mouse tissue lysates (mg of extracted protein), background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
Urea measured in cell lysates, background signal subtracted (duplicates; +/- SD).
Urea measured in biological fluids, background signal subtracted (duplicates; +/- SD).
Example of Urea standard curve using ab83362
ab83362 has been referenced in 40 publications.
- Sassi L et al. A Perfusion Bioreactor for Longitudinal Monitoring of Bioengineered Liver Constructs. Nanomaterials (Basel) 11:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33494337
- Atallah M et al. Effect of edaravone on pregnant mice and their developing fetuses subjected to placental ischemia. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 19:19 (2021). PubMed: 33549111
- Yang WY et al. Injection of hybrid 3D spheroids composed of podocytes, mesenchymal stem cells, and vascular endothelial cells into the renal cortex improves kidney function and replenishes glomerular podocytes. Bioeng Transl Med 6:e10212 (2021). PubMed: 34027096
- Jones BE et al. The neutralizing antibody, LY-CoV555, protects against SARS-CoV-2 infection in nonhuman primates. Sci Transl Med 13:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33820835
- Zabaleta N et al. An AAV-based, room-temperature-stable, single-dose COVID-19 vaccine provides durable immunogenicity and protection in non-human primates. Cell Host Microbe 29:1437-1453.e8 (2021). PubMed: 34428428