Product nameVon Kossa Stain Kit (Calcium Stain)
See all Calcium kits
The Von Kossa (Calcium Stain) is intended for use in the histological visualization of calcium deposits in paraffin sections. This method is not specific for calcium itself but tissues are treated with a silver nitrate solution and the silver is deposited by replacing the calcium reduced by the strong light, and so can be visualized as metallic silver.
Other products for staining tissue sections
Find more kits and reagents in the special stains guide, or products for antigen retrieval, blocking, signal amplification, visualization, counterstaining, and mounting in the IHC kits and reagents guide.
Calcium in mass deposits Black Calcium in dispersed deposits Gray Nuclei Red Cytoplasm Light Pink
Control Tissue: Any paraffin-embedded tissue that contains calcium deposits.
To prepare bone section without decalcification, the resin is recommended instead of paraffin.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Nuclear Fast Red Solution (Enhanced) 1 x 125ml Silver Nitrate Solution 1 x 125ml Sodium Thiosulfate Solution (5%) 1 x 125ml
RelevanceCalcium is essential for all living organisms, where Ca2+ sequestration and release into and out of the cytoplasm functions as a signal for many cellular processes. 99% of calcium is found in bones and teeth with the remaining 1% found in the blood and soft tissue. Serum calcium levels are tightly controlled (8.4-11.4 mg/dL) and any variation outside this range can have serious effects. Calcium plays a role in mediating the constriction and relaxation of blood vessels, nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, and hormone secretion. Calcium ion channels control the migration of calcium ions across cell membranes, permitting the activation and inhibition of a wide variety of enzymes. Causes of low calcium levels include chronic kidney failure, vitamin D deficiency, and low blood magnesium levels that can occur in severe alcoholism.
ab150687 has been referenced in 17 publications.
- Bhat OM et al. Medial calcification in the arterial wall of smooth muscle cell-specific Smpd1 transgenic mice: A ceramide-mediated vasculopathy. J Cell Mol Med 24:539-553 (2020). PubMed: 31743567
- Bhat OM et al. Arterial Medial Calcification through Enhanced small Extracellular Vesicle Release in Smooth Muscle-Specific Asah1 Gene Knockout Mice. Sci Rep 10:1645 (2020). PubMed: 32015399
- Kim OH et al. High-phytate/low-calcium diet is a risk factor for crystal nephropathies, renal phosphate wasting, and bone loss. Elife 9:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32271147
- Chen X et al. NSM00158 Specifically Disrupts the CtBP2-p300 Interaction to Reverse CtBP2-Mediated Transrepression and Prevent the Occurrence of Nonunion. Mol Cells 43:517-529 (2020). PubMed: 32434298
- Moittié S et al. Discovery of os cordis in the cardiac skeleton of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Sci Rep 10:9417 (2020). PubMed: 32523027