Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 4 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameWST-1 Assay Kit (Cell Proliferation)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time4h 00m
WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay Kit (ab65473) provides by far the easiest and most sensitive means for performing a quantitative cell proliferation assay, cell viability assay, or cytotoxicity assay in mammalian cells. It is also available in a ready-to-use reagent format: ab155902.
The WST-1 assay protocol is based on the cleavage of the tetrazolium salt to formazan by cellular mitochondrial dehydrogenase. The amount of the dye generated by activity of dehydrogenase is directly proportional to the number of living cells. The formazan dye produced by viable cells can be quantified by microplate reader by measuring the absorbance of the dye solution at 440 nm.
The WST-1 assay is just add-and-read, requiring no washing, no harvesting, and no solubilization steps. It is faster, stable, and more sensitive than MTT, XTT, MTS based assays. The assay correlates well with the [3H]-thymidine incorporation assay.
The WST-1 assay protocol is very simple:
- add the WST-1 assay reagent to the cell culture media and incubate for between 0.5 and 4 hrs
- shake the plate to mix the contents
- analyze the amount of formazan dye produced by measuring the absorbance at 440 nm
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K301 Quick Cell Proliferation Colorimetric Assay Kit. K301-500 is the same size as the 500 test size of ab65473.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 500 tests 2500 tests Electro Coupling Solution (ECS) 1 x 5ml 1 x 25ml WST-1 Reagent (lyophilized) 1 vial 1 vial
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
ab65473 has been referenced in 19 publications.
- Dehghan-Baniani D et al. A Biomimetic Nano-Engineered Platform for Functional Tissue Engineering of Cartilage Superficial Zone. Adv Healthc Mater 10:e2001018 (2021). PubMed: 32803848
- Ramírez-Ricardo J et al. Circulating extracellular vesicles from patients with breast cancer enhance migration and invasion via a Src-dependent pathway in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. Mol Med Rep 22:1932-1948 (2020). PubMed: 32582965
- Dehghan-Baniani D et al. Injectable in situ forming kartogenin-loaded chitosan hydrogel with tunable rheological properties for cartilage tissue engineering. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 192:111059 (2020). PubMed: 32380404
- Xylourgidis N et al. Role of dual-specificity protein phosphatase DUSP10/MKP-5 in pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 317:L678-L689 (2019). PubMed: 31483681
- Wang Y et al. AMPK a1 mediates the protective effect of adiponectin against insulin resistance in INS-1 pancreatic ß cells. Cell Biochem Funct 37:625-632 (2019). PubMed: 31693217