Product nameWST-1 Assay Kit (Cell Proliferation)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time4h 00m
WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay Kit (ab65473) provides by far the easiest and most sensitive means for performing a quantitative cell proliferation assay, cell viability assay, or cytotoxicity assay in mammalian cells. It is also available in a ready-to-use reagent format: ab155902.
The WST-1 assay protocol is based on the cleavage of the tetrazolium salt to formazan by cellular mitochondrial dehydrogenase. The amount of the dye generated by activity of dehydrogenase is directly proportional to the number of living cells. The formazan dye produced by viable cells can be quantified by microplate reader by measuring the absorbance of the dye solution at 440 nm.
The WST-1 assay is just add-and-read, requiring no washing, no harvesting, and no solubilization steps. It is faster, stable, and more sensitive than MTT, XTT, MTS based assays. The assay correlates well with the [3H]-thymidine incorporation assay.
The WST-1 assay protocol is very simple:
- add the WST-1 assay reagent to the cell culture media and incubate for between 0.5 and 4 hrs
- shake the plate to mix the contents
- analyze the amount of formazan dye produced by measuring the absorbance at 440 nm
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 500 tests 2500 tests Electro Coupling Solution (ECS) 1 x 5ml 1 x 25ml WST-1 Reagent (lyophilized) 1 vial 1 vial
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
ab65473 has been referenced in 14 publications.
- Dehghan-Baniani D et al. Injectable in situ forming kartogenin-loaded chitosan hydrogel with tunable rheological properties for cartilage tissue engineering. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 192:111059 (2020). PubMed: 32380404
- Langford-Smith AWW et al. Diabetic endothelial colony forming cells have the potential for restoration with glycomimetics. Sci Rep 9:2309 (2019). PubMed: 30783159
- Arodin Selenius L et al. The Cell Culture Medium Affects Growth, Phenotype Expression and the Response to Selenium Cytotoxicity in A549 and HepG2 Cells. Antioxidants (Basel) 8:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31091728
- Gulyaeva O et al. Sox9-Meis1 Inactivation Is Required for Adipogenesis, Advancing Pref-1+ to PDGFRa+ Cells. Cell Rep 25:1002-1017.e4 (2018). PubMed: 30355480
- Li LQ et al. Sensitization of Gastric Cancer Cells to 5-FU by MicroRNA-204 Through Targeting the TGFBR2-Mediated Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition. Cell Physiol Biochem 47:1533-1545 (2018). PubMed: 29940566