Product nameWST-1 Assay Kit (Cell Proliferation)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time4h 00m
WST-1 Assay Kit ab65475 is an alternative version of ab65473, our most popular WST-1 Assay Kit (which is also supplied as a ready-to-use reagent ab155902). This kit uses a different WST-1 analog, and also contains a stop solution.
The WST-1 assay provides by far the easiest and most sensitive means for performing a quantitative cell proliferation assay, cell viability assay, or cytotoxicity assay in mammalian cells.
The WST-1 assay protocol is based on the cleavage of the tetrazolium salt to formazan by cellular mitochondrial dehydrogenase. The amount of the dye generated by activity of dehydrogenase is directly proportional to the number of living cells. The formazan dye produced by viable cells can be quantified by microplate reader by measuring the absorbance of the dye solution at 440 nm.
The WST-1 assay protocol is very simple:
- add the WST-1 assay reagent to the cell culture media and incubate for between 0.5 and 4 hrs
- shake the plate to mix the contents
- analyze the amount of formazan dye produced by measuring the absorbance at 440 nm
This kit contains an optional stop solution to stop the production of formazan dye.
This kit was previously called Quick Cell Proliferation Assay Kit II, and WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay Kit.
The WST-1 assay is add-and-read, and requires no washing, harvesting, or solubilization steps. It is faster, stable, and more sensitive than MTT, XTT, MTS based assays. The assay correlates well with the [3H]-thymidine incorporation assay.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 500 tests 2500 tests Electro Coupling Solution (ECS) 1 x 5ml 1 x 25ml Stop Solution 1 x 5ml 1 x 25ml WST Reagent (lyophilized) 1 vial 1 vial
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
Mitochondrial dehydrogenases checked in various cell concentrations at different incubation times (2h WST for each condition)
HL60 cell proliferation measured after 24h incubation (37°C/5%CO2) and 2h WST at various camptothecin concentrations
HL60 cell proliferation measured after 48h incubation (37°C/5%CO2) and 2h WST at various camptothecin concentrations
HL60 cell proliferation measured after 72h incubation (37°C/5%CO2) and 2h WST at various camptothecin concentrations
This product has been referenced in:
- Hyndman KA et al. Dynamic changes in histone deacetylases following kidney ischemia-reperfusion injury are critical for promoting proximal tubule proliferation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 316:F875-F888 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30810062) »
- Tan D et al. Inhibition of RhoA-Subfamily GTPases Suppresses Schwann Cell Proliferation Through Regulating AKT Pathway Rather Than ROCK Pathway. Front Cell Neurosci 12:437 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 30515082) »