Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameWST-1 Assay Reagent - Cell Proliferation (ready to use)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time0h 30m
WST-1 Assay Reagent ab155902 provides a simple, accurate and ready-to-use assay to measure cell proliferation, cell viability and cytotoxicity in mammalian cells.
The WST-1 assay protocol is based on the cleavage of the tetrazolium salt WST-1 to formazan by cellular mitochondrial dehydrogenases. The larger the number of viable cells, the higher the activity of the mitochondrial dehydrogenases, and in turn the greater the amount of formazan dye formed.
The WST-1 assay protocol is very simple:
- add the WST-1 assay reagent to the cell culture media and incubate for between 0.5 and 4 hrs
- shake the plate to mix the contents
- analyze the amount of formazan dye produced by measuring the absorbance at 440 nm
WST-1 assays are non-radioactive, rapid and more sensitive than MTT, XTT, or MTS-based assays. The entire assay can be performed in the same microtiter plate and does not require extra steps like washing, harvesting and cell solubilization.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 2500 tests WST1 Reagent 1 x 2500 tests
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
ab155902 has been referenced in 21 publications.
- Zosky GR et al. No association between pyrite content and lung cell responses to coal particles. Sci Rep 11:8193 (2021). PubMed: 33854135
- Kim HJ et al. Effects of Gintonin-Enriched Fraction on Methylmercury-Induced Neurotoxicity and Organ Methylmercury Elimination. Int J Environ Res Public Health 17:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32013120
- Huang C et al. ERK1/2-Nanog signaling pathway enhances CD44(+) cancer stem-like cell phenotypes and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Cell Death Dis 11:266 (2020). PubMed: 32327629
- Pattanayak B et al. MicroRNA-33b Suppresses Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Repressing the MYC-EZH2 Pathway in HER2+ Breast Carcinoma. Front Oncol 10:1661 (2020). PubMed: 33014831
- Tian X et al. Selective Susceptibility of Oligodendrocytes to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Implication for Delayed Neurologic Sequelae (DNS). Front Psychiatry 11:815 (2020). PubMed: 32903698