Product nameXanthine Oxidase Activity Assay Kit
Sample typeMilk, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Sensitivity> 10 mU/ml
Range10 mU/ml - 1000 mU/ml
Assay time0h 40m
Xanthine Oxidase Activity Assay Kit ab102522 is an easy and sensitive assay to determine xanthine oxidase activity in variety of samples.
In the xanthine oxidase assay protocol, xanthine oxidase oxidizes xanthine to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which reacts stoichiometrically with a probe to generate color (at OD = 570 nm) and fluorescence (at Ex/Em = 535/587 nm). Since the color or fluorescence intensity is proportional to XO content, the XO activity can be accurately measured.
The kit detects 1-100 mU xanthine oxidase in 100 µl reaction volume.
Xanthine oxidase assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- analyze with microplate reader immediately and after 10-20 min
Xanthine oxidase (XO, EC 188.8.131.52 ) is present in appreciable amounts in the liver and jejunum in healthy individuals. However, in various liver disorders, XO is released into circulation. Therefore, determination of serum XO level serves as a sensitive indicator of acute liver damage such as jaundice.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests H2O2 Standard (0.88 M) Yellow 1 x 0.1ml OxiRed™ Probe (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl XO Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml XO Enzyme Mix (Lyophilized) Green 1 vial XO Positive Control Blue 1 x 8µl XO Substrate Mix (Lyophilized) Purple 1 vial
RelevanceXanthine oxidase (XO, EC 184.108.40.206 ) is present in appreciable amounts in the liver and jejunum in healthy individuals. However, in various liver disorders, XO is released into circulation. Therefore, determination of serum XO level serves as a sensitive indicator of acute liver damage such as jaundice.
Cellular localizationCytoplasm. Peroxisome. Secreted.
- Xanthine dehydrogenase/oxidase
- Xanthine oxidoreductase
ab102522 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Kimura Y et al. Canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, normalizes renal susceptibility to type 1 cardiorenal syndrome through reduction of renal oxidative stress in diabetic rats. J Diabetes Investig 10:933-946 (2019). PubMed: 30663266
- Yang Y et al. Amelioration of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease by swertiamarin in fructose-fed mice. Phytomedicine 59:152782 (2019). PubMed: 31005808
- Bandyopadhaya A et al. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Quorum Sensing Molecule Alters Skeletal Muscle Protein Homeostasis by Perturbing the Antioxidant Defense System. mBio 10:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31575771
- Wert KJ et al. Extracellular superoxide dismutase (SOD3) regulates oxidative stress at the vitreoretinal interface. Free Radic Biol Med 124:408-419 (2018). PubMed: 29940351
- Li J et al. Artemisinins Target GABAA Receptor Signaling and Impair a Cell Identity. Cell 168:86-100.e15 (2017). Functional Studies . PubMed: 27916275
- Khambata RS et al. Antiinflammatory actions of inorganic nitrate stabilize the atherosclerotic plaque. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 114:E550-E559 (2017). PubMed: 28057862
- Hwang KA et al. Antioxidant activities and oxidative stress inhibitory effects of ethanol extracts from Cornus officinalis on raw 264.7 cells. BMC Complement Altern Med 16:196 (2016). PubMed: 27391600
- Jia G et al. Uric acid promotes left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in mice fed a Western diet. Hypertension 65:531-9 (2015). PubMed: 25489061
- Paneni F et al. Deletion of the activated protein-1 transcription factor JunD induces oxidative stress and accelerates age-related endothelial dysfunction. Circulation 127:1229-40, e1-21 (2013). PubMed: 23410942
- Hsieh YS & Hsu CY Oxidative stress and anti-oxidant enzyme activities in the trophocytes and fat cells of queen honeybees (Apis mellifera). Rejuvenation Res 16:295-303 (2013). PubMed: 23738955