Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Cell culture supernatant, Milk, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Suspension cells, Tissue, Tissue Homogenate, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.4 µM
Product nameXanthine/Hypoxanthine Assay Kit
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Milk, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells, Tissue Homogenate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Xanthine/Hypoxanthine Assay kit (ab155900) is a product where Xanthine/Hypoxanthine is specifically oxidized by the Xanthine Enzyme Mix to form an intermediate, which reacts with Developer & Probe to form a product that can be measured colorimetrically (λ = 570 nm) or fluorometrically (Ex/Em = 535/587 nm). Xanthine/Hypoxanthine Assay kit is rapid, simple and sensitive. This high-throughput suitable assay kit can detect Xanthine levels as low as 0.4 µM in various biological samples.
Xanthine, a catabolic product of purine metabolism, is present in body fluids, muscle tissue and certain plants. Structurally like caffeine, Xanthine has a stimulant effect and is used clinically to treat the congestive diseases such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Xanthine is metabolized into uric acid and superoxide by Xanthine oxidase. Xanthine oxidase deficiency causes the rare genetic disorder-Xanthinuria, and leads to Xanthine accumulation in urine and blood, which ultimately progresses to renal failure. Recent studies show that Xanthine levels are elevated following ischemic injury, thus Xanthine can serve as a useful marker for tissue hypoxia. Early detection of Xanthine alteration in biological fluids is crucial for metabolic studies and for diagnostic and therapeutic monitoring.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests OxiRed Probe Red 1 x 0.2ml Xanthine Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Xanthine Developer Green 1 vial Xanthine Enzyme Mix Blue 1 vial Xanthine Standard Yellow 1 vial
Xanthine & Hypoxanthine measured in mouse tissue lysates by fluorimetric method showing quantity (nmol) per mg of sample tested.
Xanthine & Hypoxanthine measured in biological fluids by fluorimetric method showing concentrations (micromolar).
Xanthine & Hypoxanthine measured in mouse tissue lysates by colorimetric method showing quantity (mmol) per mg of sample tested.
ab155900 has been referenced in 4 publications.
- Lemaire F et al. Beneficial effects of the novel marine oxygen carrier M101 during cold preservation of rat and human pancreas. J Cell Mol Med 23:8025-8034 (2019). PubMed: 31602751
- Dervisevic M et al. Recent progress in nanomaterial-based electrochemical and optical sensors for hypoxanthine and xanthine. A review. Mikrochim Acta 186:749 (2019). PubMed: 31696297
- Brown AG et al. Exposure to intrauterine inflammation alters metabolomic profiles in the amniotic fluid, fetal and neonatal brain in the mouse. PLoS One 12:e0186656 (2017). PubMed: 29049352
- Zhou Y et al. Using Next-Generation Sequencing to Identify a Mutation in Human MCSU that is Responsible for Type II Xanthinuria. Cell Physiol Biochem 35:2412-21 (2015). PubMed: 25967871