Product nameZ-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor
DescriptionCell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor
- Z-VAD-FMK (cell permeable)
Biological descriptionA cell-permeable, irreversible, pan-caspase inhibitor. Inhibits caspase processing and apoptosis induction in tumor cells in vitro. Once in the cell, endogenous esterase activity hydrolyzes the methyl groups to form the biologically active form. Therefore, when using with isolated, purified or recombinant caspase enzymes, pre-treatment with an esterase is required.
SequenceVAD (Modifications: N-terminal benzyloxycarbonyl; C-terminal FMK; Asp-3 = Asp(OMe))
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 20 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one week. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120487 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
HeLa cells were incubated at 37°C for 1h with vehicle control (0 µM) and different concentrations of Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK (ab120487). After this incubation 10 µM of camptothecin (ab120115) was added to all samples and the cells were incubated for further 24h. Increased expression of full length PARP (ab37722) in camptothecin induced apoptotic HeLA cells correlates with an increase in Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK concentration, as described in literature.
Whole cell lysates were prepared with RIPA buffer (containing protease inhibitors and sodium orthovanadate), 10 µg of each were loaded on the gel and the WB was run under reducing conditions. After transfer the membrane was blocked for an hour using 5% BSA before being incubated with ab37722 at 1 µg /ml and ab8227 at 1 µg /ml overnight at 4°C. Antibody binding was detected using an anti-rabbit antibody conjugated to HRP (ab97051) at 1/10000 dilution.
Titration of the Caspase inhibitor Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK (ab120487) (duplicates; +/- SD).
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120487 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Gain C et al. Proteasomal inhibition triggers viral oncoprotein degradation via autophagy-lysosomal pathway. PLoS Pathog 16:e1008105 (2020). PubMed: 32092124
- Mahalapbutr P et al. Butoxy Mansonone G Inhibits STAT3 and Akt Signaling Pathways in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers: Combined Experimental and Theoretical Investigations. Cancers (Basel) 11:N/A (2019). PubMed: 30925736
- Onofre J et al. What is the best protocol to cryopreserve immature mouse testicular cell suspensions? Reprod Biomed Online 37:6-17 (2018). Mouse . PubMed: 29776850
- Peltzer N et al. LUBAC is essential for embryogenesis by preventing cell death and enabling haematopoiesis. Nature 557:112-117 (2018). PubMed: 29695863
- Lu Q et al. A novel probe to assess cytosolic entry of exogenous proteins. Nat Commun 9:3104 (2018). PubMed: 30082832
- Jaru-Ampornpan P et al. Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus 3C-Like Protease-Mediated Nucleocapsid Processing: Possible Link to Viral Cell Culture Adaptability. J Virol 91:N/A (2017). PubMed: 27807240
- Nishi K et al. ROS-induced cleavage of NHLRC2 by caspase-8 leads to apoptotic cell death in the HCT116 human colon cancer cell line. Cell Death Dis 8:3218 (2017). PubMed: 29242562
- Qian L et al. Two-Photon Enzymatic Probes Visualizing Sub-cellular/Deep-brain Caspase Activities in Neurodegenerative Models. Sci Rep 6:26385 (2016). PubMed: 27210613
- Lemke J et al. Selective CDK9 inhibition overcomes TRAIL resistance by concomitant suppression of cFlip and Mcl-1. Cell Death Differ 21:491-502 (2014). PubMed: 24362439
- Suzuki R et al. Genistein potentiates the antitumor effect of 5-Fluorouracil by inducing apoptosis and autophagy in human pancreatic cancer cells. Anticancer Res 34:4685-92 (2014). PubMed: 25202045