Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 15 min
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 1 µM
Product nameZinc Assay Kit
See all Zinc kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Sensitivity> 1 µM
Range1 µM - 3 µM
Assay time0h 15m
Zinc Assay Kit ab102507 is a convenient colorimetric assay in which Zinc binds to a ligand with development of absorbance at 560 nm.
The zinc assay can be used with biological samples such as serum, plasma, csf or urine with detection sensitivity 0.2 µg/ml (~1-3 µM).
Zinc assay protocl summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 10 min
- analyze with a microplate reader
Zinc, a metallic chemical element, symbol Zn and atomic number 30 is chemically similar to Magnesium due to its similar size and sole oxidation state of 2+. Zinc is an essential mineral of great biological significance, because many enzymes require it as an essential cofactor.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests TCA Clear 1 x 5ml Zinc Reagent 1 WM 1 x 16ml Zinc Reagent 2 Amber 1 x 4ml Zinc Standard Yellow 1 x 0.1ml
RelevanceZinc, a metallic chemical element, symbol Zn and atomic number 30 is chemically similar to Magnesium due to its similar size and sole oxidation state of +2. Zinc is an essential mineral of great biological significance since many enzymes require it as an essential cofactor. Examples of zinc’s biological roles include signal transduction, gene expression, regulation of apoptosis, synaptic plasticity and prostate gland function.
Indicated strains were cultured in low zinc medium (SD0, pH ~4.7), exposed to 25 µM ZnSO4 and zinc acquisition determined at indicated time points by measuring how much zinc remained in the cell free supernatant. C. albicans wild type acquires all measurable zinc within 60 minute; zrt2Δ does not; complementation restored zinc acquisition to 68%. Experiment performed three times
Zinc measured in cell lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln of tested cells
Zinc measured in mouse tissue lysates showing quantity (nmol) per mg protein of tested sample
Standard curve (colourimetric) : mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background substracted
Representative Standard Curve using ab102507.
ab102507 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Crawford AC et al. Biphasic zinc compartmentalisation in a human fungal pathogen. PLoS Pathog 14:e1007013 (2018). PubMed: 29727465
- Pourmirzaiee MA et al. Serum Zinc Level and Eating Behaviors in Children Receiving Zinc Supplements without Physician Prescription. Adv Biomed Res 7:120 (2018). PubMed: 30211133
- Shi K et al. Crystal Structure of the DNA Deaminase APOBEC3B Catalytic Domain. J Biol Chem 290:28120-30 (2015). PubMed: 26416889